TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Terms and Conditions
All costs quoted are valid for 28 days from the date of this contract. Once signed the costs are fixed unless otherwise stated.
2 BOOKING FEE AND SECURITY BOND
A £1000.00 Booking Fee is required at the time of booking to reserve your wedding date. The Booking Fee is to cover irrecoverable costs including, but not limited to, reserving the date in our diary, correspondence, meetings where applicable and administration charges in the preparation of your contract.
This booking fee is held for a 7-day cooling off period and to allow for the preparation and signing of this contract. After this time, it becomes non-refundable and will not be refunded in the event of cancellation (see clause 8).
Once your first wedding payment has been made the booking fee becomes a Security Bond and is kept separately to cover costs including, but not limited to the cost of damage, theft, loss or cancellation etc (see clauses 20 – 23 below). This Security Bond, minus any deductions under these clauses, will be refunded to you within 7 days after your wedding date.
*Coronavirus Note: We acknowledge the difficulties in choosing a wedding venue and not being able to make a personal visit. We are therefore reducing our booking fee by 50% until a visit can be made in person or 60 days, whichever comes sooner. At this point the balance of the booking fee is due and the wedding payments will begin (see clause 3).
3 WEDDING PAYMENT
Full payment for your wedding is required 1 month prior to the wedding date and the schedule for payments is set out below:
- £1000 non-refundable booking fee/security bond – at booking
- 25% due – at 1 month from booking date
- 25% due – 9 months before wedding date
- 25% due – 6 months before wedding date
- Final Balance due – 1 month before wedding date
All payments must be made on account via Bank Transfer/Bill Payment to:
Account Name: Cote How Lake District Weddings
Sort Code: 40-26-02
Account No: 01527258
4 WEDDING INSURANCE
It is your responsibility to purchase comprehensive and credible wedding insurance to cover any losses due to unforeseen circumstances, which may result in the postponement or cancellation of your wedding. This insurance must cover the full wedding fees.
Please be aware that should the wedding not go ahead for whatever reason, you will be charged the cancellation fees set out in clause 8, and for that reason insurance is strongly recommended.
* Coronavirus Note: It is vital that you purchase wedding insurance as soon as possible. In order to allow couples a fair chance to purchase sufficient insurance we will amend our cancellation charges to NEW BOOKINGS ONLY (from April 2020) to guarantee that any wedding payments made on account will be fully refundable until insurance is purchased, or 60 days from the booking date, whichever comes sooner. After this period, full cancellation charges (under clause 8) apply.
If payment is not made in full, in accordance with the payment schedule under clause 3, we reserve the right to:
- Refuse to hold the wedding and treat non-payment as cancellation by you under clause 8 and apply the cancellation charges thereunder. We will notify you in writing if we treat the contract as cancelled.
- Charge interest at 8% per annum calculated daily from the date the payment was due, to the date payment is made.
All prices quoted, and optional extras are inclusive of VAT at the rate applicable at the time of invoice.
7 ADDITIONAL CHARGES
Any major changes or amendments will incur additional charges.
Major changes are:
- Postponement of the wedding to a new date within the same financial year (on or before next 31 March after the original wedding date) – This will incur an additional charge equivalent to 15% of the original wedding price.
- If you wish to make a further postponement within the same financial year, this will be deemed a cancellation and charges will apply in accordance with clause 8. You may then re-book, but the wedding will be re-charged at the prices applicable at the time of re-booking.
- Postponement of the wedding to a new date in the next financial year (after next 31 March after the original wedding date) – This will be deemed a cancellation and charges will apply in accordance with clause 8. You may then re-book, but the wedding will be re-charged at the prices applicable at the time of re-booking.
- Upgrade of wedding style. For example, upgrading from an “Elopement for Two” to an “Afternoon tea for 12” – This is a variation to the contract and will incur administration charges of £250.
Any changes made to the contract will be re-priced at the current pricing and will be payable in full when the final balance is payable (1 month before the wedding).
Minor changes to the contract are permitted without charge, provided they are submitted in writing and received no later than six weeks before the wedding date.
Minor changes are:
- Any adjustments to guest numbers, type of food or drinks.
- Downward changes are permitted but must be within 10% of the originally agreed figures on the contract.
- Downward changes will be calculated at the originally quoted pricing.
- Downward adjustments will be re-calculated, and the final invoice adjusted before the final balance is due.
- Any further downward changes after this point will not be refunded.
- Upward changes are only permitted if capacity allows, for the wedding style chosen, and by the prior agreement of Cote How.
- All changes will be calculated at the current pricing and added to the final invoice, which must be paid in full 1 month before the wedding date
8 CANCELLATION CHARGES
Cote How is an all-inclusive wedding venue that includes a full wedding planning service. Our wedding price includes irrecoverable costs incurred, and services provided by us in advance of the wedding and our cancellation policy reflects this. All cancellations must be made in writing. A cancellation charge will be made in relation to the total wedding price using the following scale:
- 0 ‐ 3 Calendar months prior to the wedding date. 100% of the total wedding price
- 4 ‐ 6 Calendar months prior to the wedding date. 75% of the total wedding price
- 7 ‐ 12 Calendar months prior to the wedding date. 50% of the total wedding price
- 13 ‐ 24 Calendar months prior to the wedding date. 25% of the total wedding price
The Booking Fee is non-refundable see Clause 2.
Cote How will endeavour to re-sell the wedding date. If we successfully re-sell for a greater or equal value to your wedding price, we will refund all payments made by you less a fee of 25% of the total wedding price. For the avoidance of doubt therefore, if you cancel between 13 and 24 months prior to your wedding date, there will be no refund, even if we are able to re-sell the wedding date. Any refunds due will be made after we have received full payment for the re-sold wedding.
In the event of cancellation, Cote How will not be liable for any other expenses incurred in the planning or preparation of the wedding outside of this contract. E.g. Other wedding services and costs such as registrar fees, catering, photographer etc.
9 PRE-WEDDING VISITS
Due to the very limited time available between other weddings and events, once you have booked your wedding, we ask that you limit any further visits to ONE final planning meeting onsite. It is advised to plan this visit approximately 8-12 weeks prior to your wedding date to finalise all last-minute details. All relevant online forms are required ahead of this meeting, including any music uploads or playlists required for your ceremony.
For clarity purposes; all other arrangements and correspondence should be via email / client portal.
* Coronavirus Note: While the pandemic persists and Government advice is to limit social contact, all dialogue will be conducted by video/telephone/email as appropriate.
10 SERVICE PROVIDERS
If any of your service providers such as photographers, florists, venue stylists wish to see the venue this must be arranged to take place immediately after your final planning meeting and must be organised by you (as we may have other clients to see). We suggest that you schedule any such service providers to arrive approximately 1 hour after your final planning meeting with us starts.
Any photos taken during the wedding may be used by Cote How for the purposes of marketing.
Cote How reserves the right to modify its stated guest number capacity at any time, either up or down to manage venue operations most effectively.
* Coronavirus Note: If Social Distancing measures are active then numbers must be adjusted to allow for this to be correctly followed in order to keep couples, guests and staff safe at all times.
13 EVENTS OUTSIDE OUR CONTROL (Force Majeure)
If it proves impossible to hold your wedding as planned by reason of an event outside our control then we will contact you as soon as possible to let you know and we will take steps to minimise the effect of this. Provided we do this we will not be liable for the consequences of any postponement or cancellation caused by the event. The following provisions will then apply:
- If the wedding can still go ahead on the booked day we reserve the right to make reasonable alternative arrangements regarding any agreed details, including size of wedding, in order to deliver the wedding safely, in line with industry and Government guidelines applicable to your wedding date, and without compromising the quality of the service promised. We will take all reasonable steps to fulfil the reservation to the best of our ability and in accordance with the details provided. Any downward changes in numbers will be acknowledged and a downward adjustment made for direct costs related to food, drinks and staffing as required. If your wedding balance has already been paid we will refund any difference.
- If the wedding cannot go ahead on the booked day we will offer alternative dates (where reasonably possible). No additional charges will apply if you accept a new date within the same financial year (on or before 31 March after the original wedding date) and we will vary the original contract to reflect this.
- If you do not wish to accept any in-year dates offered, and wish to book a new date (beyond 31 March after the original wedding date) the irrecoverable costs incurred, and value of services provided by us to date will be deducted from any money paid. The balance will be transferred to your new future wedding date, which will be re-charged at the prices applicable at the time of re-booking. We will vary the original contract to reflect this.
- If we are unable to offer any alternative dates, or the dates proposed are deemed not suitable by you, you may end the contract by notifying us in writing. You may receive a refund for any money paid minus irrecoverable costs incurred, and value of services provided by us to date.
Children are welcome at weddings, however, Cote How is an adult focused venue and its grounds can be potentially hazardous. We cannot accept any liability whatsoever in the event of an accident due to children playing or running around unsupervised. We respectfully ask that guardians ensure their children are always fully supervised by identifiable responsible adult/s.
Children are not permitted onsite after 21.00. We have no facilities for children staying in the accommodation overnight. We highly recommend that you consider hiring a nanny where appropriate.
We limit the number of children aged 2 – 10 years old to three (3). As Cote How has a very limited capacity there can be no discounts offered for children.
In agreement to the licence granted to Cote How ‐ all doors and windows to the premises shall be kept closed after 21:00hrs. Outdoor music is limited to live acoustic only. Pre-recorded music is only available in the house or barn. Last orders at the bar and music must cease by 23:00. No wine or other beverages or food may be brought into the house or grounds by the client or guests for consumption on the premises, unless pre‐agreed by Cote How.
The bar is available on a ‘cash only’ basis for guests to purchase drinks throughout the day. If you wish to provide a bar tab for your guests, then an estimated amount will be agreed and added to your wedding payments. Any unspent tab will be refunded post wedding.
* Coronavirus Note: We reserve the right to introduce a compulsory pre-paid bar tab for all drinks or introduce contactless payment only.
Cote How is a non‐smoking establishment; failure to comply will result in cleaning and deodorizing with a minimum charge of £200.00 per room. A designated outside smoking area and ashtrays are provided near the barn. Failure of guests to use the ashtrays will result in a £200 charge for clearing up related litter.
18 SECURITY / HEALTH & SAFETY
Cote How reserve the right to open or close certain areas/parts of the venue at various times of the wedding day in accordance with their use and timing. We do not allow the use of drones without prior consent. We do not allow the use of fireworks or Chinese lanterns.
Any damage to the house or grounds by any member of the bridal party will be the responsibility of the bride and groom. This particularly includes damage to the house wooden floors by wedding guests wearing stiletto heels. Heel Stoppers MUST be worn over heels and are available to buy on the day.
Cote How is not responsible for any damage, theft or loss of yours or your guests’ belongings whilst onsite. This includes wedding presents, cards, and cash.
20 COTE HOW REPUTATION
At the absolute and unfettered discretion of Cote How any function may be cancelled by Cote How even if paid in full, if Cote How has reasonable grounds for believing that the holding of such function would prejudice their reputation, good name, or standing.
21 ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY
No other food, drink or Illegal substances may be brought into the house or grounds by the client or guests for consumption on the premises. Cote How reserves the right to evict any person attending a function who behaves abusively, unreasonably, or illegally. If at any time any illegal substances are suspected to be in use by, or in the possession of any client or guest on the premises the wedding will be immediately stopped.
Cote How reserves the right to judge acceptable levels of noise or behaviour of clients, guests or representatives and the client must take all necessary action to correct. In the event of failure to comply with management requests, Cote How reserves the right to terminate the contract and stop the event without being liable for any refund or compensation.
22 SUBCONTRACTED WEDDING SUPPLIERS
Prior consent of Cote How must be sought for any suppliers contracted by the client. The client will be held responsible for any damage caused to the house, barn and grounds by themselves, a subcontractor or their guests and shall pay for such damage or loss of business caused as a result.
All service providers such as hairdressers, beauticians and entertainers must provide their own PAC tested equipment and Public Liability insurance and provide you with a certificate for each before working onsite.
Earliest arrival times of suppliers is 9:00am and all vehicles must be removed 30 mins before the stated guests’ arrival time on the Wedding Day Schedule.
* Coronavirus Note: You are required to ensure that your suppliers are insured and have a Health & Safety Risk assessment and measures in place to limit the impact of Coronavirus on you, your guests, and our staff.
23 OVERNIGHT GUEST ROOMS
Any bedrooms allocated and reserved will need to be paid for in full by the couple as part of the wedding package and then counter-charged to their guests as required.
24 ACCESS TO BEDROOMS
Access to bedrooms is strictly for residents only.
All belongings needed for the day need to be removed from the bedrooms and stored downstairs before the wedding commences as the upstairs of the house will be locked for security reasons
Cote How is not responsible for tidying any rooms used for pre-wedding dressing / preparations and ask that all residents tidy where necessary ahead of the wedding ceremony and are mindful to leave the Bridal Suite clean and tidy for the next couple.
Non-resident members of the immediate bridal party are not permitted upstairs. Bridal hair and makeup can be accommodated downstairs by prior agreement at your final planning meeting.
Members of the immediate bridal party who are not residents are asked to wait downstairs until the bride is ready. We will make sure the wedding guests are ushered into the ceremony room to allow meeting in the dining room ahead of the ceremony.
There is NO PARKING available onsite for wedding guests, suppliers, or residents during the wedding itself. RESIDENTIAL guests can park overnight after the daytime event has finished. We strongly advise that wedding couples organise pre-paid minibuses to transport their guests. See Wedding Guest Information Pack for details.
On booking and paying your booking fee the wedding couple are agreeing to these terms and conditions with Cote How as herewith outlined. Cote How reserves the right to amend or add to these terms and conditions from time to time. We will notify you in writing of any changes to these terms and conditions.
27 JURISDICTION AND THE LAW
This contract will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.
Cote How has implemented a range of measures to ensure that the health and safety of you, your guests and Cote How staff are not compromised. The measures put in place are outlined in our policy document – CORONAVIRUS POLICY. It is your responsibility to ensure that you and your guests are fully conversant with the requirements of this policy and make every effort to keep Cote How and its staff safe too.
Start your wedding journey now...
Follow us to keep up to date with our latest news, events and wedding tips