The earliest known origins of Cote How are of a hexagonal tower (thought to be medieval) which was extended in 1535 with the addition of an Elizabethan house, complete with spinning gallery. This part of the house was built by Michael Benson, a clothier from Manchester. The house - formerly a farm - has seen many tenants over the years who have put Cote How to a number of different uses. It has been a Sunday school, a farm, split into two separate cottages, home to the Master of the hunt, a riding school and for the last 12 years, a bed and breakfast. Caroline now runs Cote How and offers the entire house on an exclusive basis for weddings and special occasions.
Origins of the name
“Coatehow” as it was known, derives from the word “cote” meaning shelter and "how" meaning small hill. It was here in Roman times, that a lookout post was situated, serving visitors using the old Roman road and ford across the river Rothay.
In 1875, Cote How was sold to the ‘Le Fleming’ family for £850, when it was let as two cottages and served as the first Rydal Sunday School. From 1901 – 1907, the local artist Frederick Yates lived here and it was in the Rydal suite that he painted his great friend and frequent visitor to Cote How – Woodrow Wilson – US President.
The Rydal Suite is one of the oldest rooms in our house and was the studio of local artist Frederick Yates around the turn of the century. It was in this room that American ex-President, Woodrow Wilson, had his portrait painted.